Paul Speaks

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Lesson of the Day

Today's lesson is about cookies. When making oatmeal cookies, remember that thinner is better. A thin chewy cookie beats a big puffy cookie anyday. However there is such a thing as going too far with the thinness, and that brings us to today's lesson. Bringing butter to room temperature before using it is generally recommended. Melting your butter is not, as you will end up with a soupy butter+sugar mixture, instead of a creamy one.
The end result was some oatmeal cookies so thin that they would fall apart if you tried to pick them up. Still tasty, but certainly not ideal. I recall running into this problem before, when I first started making oatmeal cookies, but I was never sure why. Now that I figured out what's going on, I'm one step closer to perfecting my cookies.

3 Comments:

  • good lesson! this should be a regular feature!

    -adele

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:48 PM  

  • hah... you cook also? man there's nothing you can't do

    -David Kim

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:40 PM  

  • Can I have an oatmeal cookie? No, really?

    Are you red-haired Paul? If not I don't know you. But hi anyway! And if you are red-haired Paul, see you Wednesday. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home