Paul Speaks

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Heads and Tails

I had two meetings today.

In the first meeting, we had a couple different people presenting portions of a slide deck. At one point I noticed one of the presenters was talking a little quickly. Not so quickly that he seemed rushed, or that I couldn't understand - but fast enough so that a)I noticed it was a faster than normal pace and b)I didn't quite have time to read the slides being displayed on the screen because I was too busy listening. Thus, while I got all the salient points of the presentation, I found myself wishing it was a little slower.

In the second meeting, I was giving a presentation to a small group of co-workers. I don't give presentations very often. I tried to be conscious of pacing and not rush my speech of ramble on. A number of times I stopped for a moment to take a breath, and let everyone catch up or ask questions if they needed to. During these times, I found the silence rather awkward and felt compelled to jump right ahead with whatever came next.

I guess the best way to put yourself in someone else's shoes is to just go ahead and lace them up.

3 Comments:

  • check out "Presenting to Win" by Jerry Weisman, he has coached JeffR on presentation skills and the book has some killer approached to structuring prezos, data and presentation style.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:19 PM  

  • I always feel awkward when I pause while speaking, but when I see other speakers pausing, it never seems that awkward to me.

    Yep.

    By Blogger Tony Beeman, at 8:24 PM  

  • I dont' enjoy presentations, but find doing them in work much easier than in school. Not sure why that is though.

    And I agree with the pausing comment from Tony too.

    - John

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home