Paul Speaks

Friday, March 24, 2006

On Not Getting It

It's time for a round of the popular game, "What They Say/What They Mean."

Today's case study covers a common scenario that many of you will be able to relate to you. Especially those of you who a) work for a medium or large company or b) went to College or c) have an email address. I'll provide a conversation, in case an email thread, and then offer a translation of what each person really meant.


From: ManagerA
To: PersonW, PersonX, PersonY, Paul
Subject: ArbitraryTask
Hello Team,
ManagerB is waiting on us for projectN. Please send me a status report. We should meet soon.

What ManagerA means:
I am micromanaging because you are all incompetent.

From: Paul
To: ManagerA
Subject: Re: ArbitraryTask
Hi ManagerA, I think you actually meant to send this to PersonZ. Thanks.

What Paul Means:
I'm not sure how someone so incompetent became a manager in the first place, but PLEASE try to improve your outlook skills to the point where you can send mail solely to the intended recipients. Yes it's trivial for me to delete this mail, but hopefully by sending this note I can avoid receiving unnecessary emails from you in the future

From: ManagerA
To: Paul
Subject: ArbitraryTask
Hi Paul,
Thanks, you are right, I meant to send the original mail to PersonZ. Sorry about the mixup!

What he means:
In addition to being incompetent, I have no capacity for the understanding the subtext of emails such as the one you just sent me. I will take no corrective action, and I will continue to send you mails which in the future which will clutter your inbox and further prove my profound stupidity.

Wash.
Rinse.
Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

1 Comments:

  • Paul you are really expecting too much out of managers, for them to be able to correctly send an email, that is a hard task to accomplish correctly the first time.

    - John

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home