Paul Speaks

Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Blog Hump and The Big Game

My blog posts have been described as many things, from "BEST. THING. EVER." to "boring/dorky." But perhaps the most accurate adjective would be sporadic, as I occasionally most multiple times in short periods, but also tend to go for weeks at a time without saying anything. In my mind, there is a direct correlation between how long it has been since my last post, and how fascinating my next one needs to be. As a result "I haven't posted in a while" becomes a sort of self-fulfilling prophesy. However, a friend recently urged me to get over this misguided notion and just post whatever, whenever. So in a very George Costanza-esque "Do the opposite" mentality, I'm going to try and prevent long periods of silence by intentionally posting "boring" items. Here are a few boring things for your [un]entertainment.
1. The last piece of the chocolate cake I made last weekend is on my counter. It's sort of stale.
2. I started watching Howard Stern's movie, Private Parts last night, but I didn't finish it.
3. The air freshener in my car is sort of gross, it smells like cinnamon, but nastier.
4. At work they have these signs in the bathroom that say "Protect your system against viruses. Wash your hands."
5. Broadway Grill has pretty good onion rings, but not as good as Claimjumper.
6. I bought some hot wings to bring to a Superbowl party.

Speaking of... I was thinking about the Superbowl on my way home a few minutes ago. I think there is something to be learned about attention span and singularity from the Superbowl. It brings even the most marginal of sports fans out of the woodwork and gets them excited. People all around the country - thousands of miles from Seattle or Pittsburgh - are throwing huge parties centered around this once-a-year event. I believe it is the fact that the game represents the entire football season rolled into one several hour event that causes its huge popularity. What else do we have that is like that? The only analogous thing I can think of would be New Year's Eve, where we reminisce about the past year and look forward to the next, all in one evening. Things like the World Series, the Olympics, and other multi-day/week events just can't capture the nation's (or world's) attention for their entirety. The opening ceremonies are cool, and it's fun to watch some short track speed skating, but does anyone really care about curling, or the ski jump, or the biathlon? But by focusing all the attention into one single event, creating a microcosm of the sport, the popularity of football is, for one day, all anyone is talking about.

2 Comments:

  • paul, throw the cake away!!!
    get rid of the air freshner
    [it seems you don't think it
    is refreshing]
    as for the super bowl
    Go Seahawks!
    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:19 PM  

  • Are you talking about the Vanillaroma air freshener when you first got your car? If that's starting to smell like cinnamon, I definitely agree with Mom.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home