Paul Speaks

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Paul complains, criticizes critically acclaimed blogs

Being myself neither an authority on the English language, nor a perfect speaker/writer thereof, I try to limit my linguistic complaints. However if you didn't mean to say that, I'm fairly certain you did it "by accident," not "on accident." Professor Paul Brians agrees. (I would have preferred a more authoratative figure, say a Harvard Prof, but I'm sure they have better things to do that create online references to help satisfy my need to be right all the time).
Secondly, French, Spanish, Italian, Romanian and Portugese are Romance Languages, not Romantic Languages. Despite "American Women Studying in Europe" finding Italian to be intoxicating, taxonomically speaking, it is a Romance language, not a Romantic one.

I have been continually reminded recently that I have not yet posted the results of The Contest. While perusing Forbes' list of - what else - the best food blogs, I was again reminded of said failure to post by the title of the most recent post in Cooking With Amy. [note: Her blog doesn't seem to offer links directly to individual entries - I refer to the March 16th entry entitled "Contest Winners."] But the urge to be myself - and by myself I mean hyper-critical and negative - has for the moment uprooted my devotion to my fan base and their thirst for contest results. Amy poses the following question:

What's the signature pizza in Boston?
A. Pepperoni
B. Clam and Garlic
C. Mozzarella and Basil
D. Lobster Marinara

First of all, what exactly defines "signature" in this context. Having grown up in Boston, I wasn't aware Boston had any "signature" pizza. A signature chowder, yes. Signature beans, sure. But pizza? I mean, the Regina in the North End makes a mean pie, the defunct European did as well, and the sicilian style slices at Pinocchio's are pretty unbeatable, especially when used to soak up all that alcohol at 1:59 on a, well, whatever night you've decided to define as "the new Saturday." But seriously people, when you read that question were any of you thinking B? Because that's what Amy says is the answer. It reminded me of one of those Trivial Pursuit questions where you hear the first half of the question (e.g. How many feet deep is the Amazon river at the point where it is joined by the Rio Negro) and you think "Dear God I hope there are some multiple choice options. And of course there are because who except some Brazilian tribesman with a really long measuring stick would possibly know that. But then you hear the choices (200 feet, 300 feet or 400 feet?) and you've narrowed your choices from infinitely many to three but in reality you're still just guessing (it's 300 by the way). I've never even seen Clam and Garlic pizza on a menu. Where do they come up with this stuff?

For my final trick, I'll be criticizing someone else who is used to turning them, Jessica Cutler, a.k.a The Washingtonienne. Breaking journalistic ground (or not, actually) by offering her opinion on something she knows nothing about, Ms. Culter recently criticized Neil Strauss' recent book, The Game. Using the old "judge a book by its cover" trick, Ms. Cutler slams Strauss' work as an unnecessary and misguided pick-up guide. While The Game does mention a number of the "techniques" used by Strauss' mentors (and later, his protoges), it actually has a lot more to offer. It's interesting for all the reasons you wanted to take Psych 101. It details the cut throat competition between a number of key players (no pun intended) in the niche "teaching guys how to pick up women" market. Scarily the book reveals the powerful effects that some of the [perhaps ethically questionable] hypnosis-style techniques developed by the likes of Ross Jeffries can have on the human mind. Shockingly, Strauss reveals that after honing his skills, he and his comrades discovered it was easier to "pick up" a woman who had been married for several years than one who was single, and that a woman with a boyfriend was more likely to sleep with them the night they met than to give up her phone number. Ms. Cutler's advice to men to buy a woman drinks "until drunken sex in the men's room ensues." This isn't really surprisingly advice coming from someone who openly admits to being, not just easy, but a glorified prostitute. But maybe she's right. Maybe it's not that difficult. Or least, it wouldn't be if everyone were more like her.
And when you think about, isn't that what we all want? Who hasn't thought to themselves that the world would be a better place, if everyone were more like them? I know I have. And I know you have too.

1 Comments:

  • Nice blog with good information on articles.

    Thank you for providing relevant information. I’ll keep visiting it for updated information.

    Keep it up

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home