Paul Speaks

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

I win!

I like analogies and metaphors, so today I will tell you about something that happened as work, using a restaurant analogy (I am stealing this idea from Erin).
I am a chef at a local restaurant. When I finish cooking a meal, I have to get someone else to check it over and make sure it is what the customer ordered before I hand it off to the waiter. One guy is a real stickler, and a typical conversation might go like this:

Me: How does this grilled cheese look?
Stickler: You were supposed to make Kung Pao Chicken
Me: OK I'll try again

But today was different. Today I got to make a salad, which I'm pretty good at, so the conversation went something like this:

Me: How does this salad look?
Stickler: The lettuce looks good, but we usually put dressing on it
Me: I am serving the dressing on the side, and I serve two different kinds of dressing so people can pick what they want.
Stickler: Well, we also serve the honey mustard dressing with the chicken fingers, so you should serve multiple sauces with that as well.
Me: No, we shouldn't mess with the chicken fingers
Stickler: OK You're right. I'll tell everyone else to start serving dressing on the side as well.

Yay! I won!

2 Comments:

  • Im jealous. When i talk in metaphors its because some team has ticked me off and i want to complain but NDA keeps me from making my complaints clear.
    I wish the other restaurants would realize that our "restaurant managment team" is here for a reason.
    -Erin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:12 PM  

  • metaphor? what metaphor? I really do work at a restaurant. Don't I?

    By the way, congratulations on being chosen as the chief interior decorator for our restaurant.

    By Blogger Paul, at 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home