Paul Speaks

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Run For Fun?

As you know last Monday was my first half marathon race. For a day or two after that, I was trying to figure out why so many people enjoy such things and do them on a repeated basis. By Thursday, I was itching to start running again, as I flipped through some fliers I picked up at the race for more upcoming races. Go figure.

Friday after work, I went with Kapil to a BBQ for people who had volunteered at the Tour De Cure, which is a fundraiser for the American Diabetes Society. I was chatting with a woman there who had also run in the same race I did, and we started talking about training, and more upcoming races, etc. By the end of the conversation I was all pumped up to get back into the training groove and get ready for more long distance races.

My basic plan is to keep doing about the same number of runs per week I was doing (4--5 usually), but to continue to gradually increase my weekly or bi-weekly long run so I'll be better prepared - both mentally and physically - for long races (for now I'm still thinking mainly half marathons, but who knows...).

I already knew - and learned by experience in the race - that runs of more than 75 minutes or so require water breaks for sure, and, if possible, some sort of fuel. So saturday morning I went to REI and got a small water bottle, plus a bunch of Gel/GU packets, which are basicaly liquid power bars, except they are designed to be easy to digest, and they are all carbs, so they give you energy much quicker (than say, protein). I also stopped by Target while I was out, where they small water bottles for only $1! I figured they were pretty low quality, compared to the Nalgene one I got for $5 at REI, but I got a couple anyway.

Now that I was fully equipped, i filled up my water bottle and headed out for a super long run of about 14-15 miles (I never know exactly how far I'm running around here, but it was just under two hours). I took water every couple miles, and had one of the gel packs about an hour into it. It went really well. I expected to have some stomach sloshiness after eating it, but that didn't happen at all. My hamstring did tighten up a little bit with a few miles to. It was the same spot that was tight for a few days after the race, so I guess there is some microscopic damage there. After a while I stopped and stretched it out for a minute, and then it felt fine the rest of the way.

So, barring any unforeseen circumstances like a major back injury (ugh), I am once again a runner.

1 Comments:

  • I don't know how I missed that paragraph before, but I'm so excieted you discovered the joys of the target dollar store!

    By Blogger Erin, at 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home