Paul Speaks

Thursday, July 29, 2004

I may never travel again

You've read of my many woes when it comes to purchasing tickets, Whether it be for travel, concerts, baseball games, etc. Here's another one for you.

I got an email the other day from Larry, telling me that he was going to be in Vegas with his girlfriend this Sunday and Monday. He says I should come down and hang out with them, seeing as how it's not too often he's on the West Coast. Very Tempting. I do love Vegas, and I can afford to take a day off.

I head over to travelocity.com and check on flights. $333 is the cheapest I see. I'd maybe do that, but it's a bit expensive, so I wait and check again the next day. Yesterday I noticed I can do a hotel + flight combo for what seems to be a reasonable price. Figuring the airfare at $300, I could get two nights at NYNY for $65/night. Seems reasonable. So I checked with Larry, they had reservations at the Flamingo, but could cancel them without getting charged so long as they did it by midnight tonight. Sounds like a plan.

I get back on travelocity to book it. Everything still comes up at the same prices like I expected, so I go ahead and book it. Then, after I'm done forking over the loot, I come to the confirmation page, which informs be that I have been [over]charged $702. Where oh where did that extra ~300 come from I wonder? So, begrudgingly, I get on the phone with them. That is, I call them and navigate their phone maze for sometime, eventually managing to actually get myself on hold. Here's roughly the conversation I had:

Me: You overcharged me by almost $300
Them: Are you sure?
Me: Yes
Them: Can you hold? This may take 3-5 minutes
<< elevator music >>
Them: Maybe the fare went up while you were booking it?
Me: Doubtful, I searched again just now and it comes up with the same [lower] price.
Them: That's just the hotel price, you need to add them together
Me: It says explicitly "Flight + Hotel"
Them: Well, sometimes the price can change while you're booking it
Me: So once I enter my credit card, you are free to charge me any arbitrary price?
Them: Can you hold? This may take 3-5 minutes
<< more elevator music. I start typing this blog entry >>
Them: You were charged the correct price
Me: Let me talk to a supervisor

Them: OK I'll have to put you on hold, this will take 3-5 minutes
<< elevator music >>
Supervisor: HI! [i will pretend to have no idea what's going on]
Me: (repeat entire story)
Supervisor: Let me try to reproduce what you saw on the website. <...> Ok I'm seeing $xxx does that sound right?
Me: Yes, that what it should have been.
Supervisor: Let me look into this, please hold
<< la de da >>
Supervisor: OK We're going to refund you the difference, it looks like there is in fact a problem with our site. I'll give you a call back to confirm when we get this taken care of.
Me: How about I call you back?
Supervisor: Here's my name and our direct customer service #. Thanks for catching that!
Me: Yeah no problem

I'll post again if/when they call me back.

1 Comments:

  • Paul, I work at Sabre Holdings and am glad to hear that Travelocity was able to process the refund. If you do not hear from the supervisor in what you think is a reasonable timeframe, please let me know via email and I will follow up.

    Gary.Potter@Sabre-Holdings.com
    http://www.acemakr.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home